“Old Dominion…The Mother of Presidents…Home of the first permanent English settlement in the New World…Home of George Washington, Patrick Henry,Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, and Richard Lee – that’s the State of Virginia. Rich in history, the State has always been in the forefront of the political arena. None of that has changed. What has changed is the complexion of Virginia politics.
You know, for years I have heard others decry what they call “the dumbing down” of the American people, and I never put much stock into that notion. However, given more recent events, I might want to rethink my opinion. In one of the most egregiously absurd moves of the 21st Century Virginia’s delegates to the GOP convention nominated as candidates for Governor and Lt. Governor , not only Ken Cuccinelli – the anti-woman, anti-gay, and anti-separation of church and state clown who has been serving as the Attorney General in that state, but E.W. Jackson the Dominionist preacher who couldn’t pull more than 5% of the vote when he ran for the U.S. Senate last year. What the hell is up with that, Virginia?
Now, I realize that the Republican Party has undergone some massive changes over the last couple of decades and that they are almost unrecognizable as the party we all remember. I know that they have been largely taken over by some of the most ill-suited, ill-mannered, and absolutely preposterous religious wing-nuts that America has to offer. I understand that. But, this…this is beyond comprehension. This has to be that proof in the pudding for making the argument that the GOP is no longer a viable political party with the public interest at heart.
E. W. Jackson is the pastor of Exodus Faith Ministries, which holds services for it’s small congregation in the Marriot Hotel in Chesapeake every Sunday. Now, few people have ever heard of E. W. Jackson, and most of us don’t give a lot of time to candidates for state offices other than our own. However, it is because of that the Dominionists have been so successful in placing their people in seats of power, and Jackson is the prime example of how this works for them.
Jackson published a book back in 2008, called “Ten Commandments to an Extraordinary Life: Making Your Dreams Come True.” Among other things, the book discusses the importance of donating to one’s spiritual leader. Betsy Woodruff of the National Review quotes from page 177 of that book:
“For example, as you read this book, you may feel a deep spiritual affinity for the things I am teaching and therefore a profound spiritual kinship with me. We may never meet in person, but you can draw on the anointing which God has placed on my life by sowing into my ministry. That opens a spiritual door for you to partake at a deeper level and for me to impart to you as one in Covenant with me. That is how I have come to support other ministries. Wherever you are moved to give, do it consistently and generously. This will start a flow of prosperity in your life which will enhance all the other principles you have learned.”
Now, this all pretty much sounds like the Prosperity Theology that many Dominionists preach. Additionally, Jackson promotes the erroneous notion that the United States is a Christian nation and that the Founding Fathers envisioned a Christian nation and that we have strayed from that and must reclaim God’s Kingdom.
His sermons are filled with political rhetoric which focuses on parental rights, separation of church and state (which he opposes), the evils of same-sex marriage and homosexuality, and the degenerate American culture. None of this should surprise us, though, given the fact that we know what his beliefs are. What is surprising, however, is his ridiculous penchant for saying the most outrageous things, leaving little room for any thinking person to believe that he is anything but bat-shit crazy.
From the National Review:
On “most people”:
[M]ost people are dead spirits. As such they have the nature of Satan who does not want to have anything to do with God or anyone related to Him. Of course they are not aware that they are imbued with the nature of Satan. They would be mortified by the idea of becoming Satanists or devil worshippers. Satan benefits far more from people who do not know they serve him than from those who knowingly bow to him. Your spirit was made for attachment. It is either attached to God or to Satan, but it is not neutral, no matter how much people think themselves to be.
On the times we live in:
We live in the most interesting times in human history. These are the days spoken of in Scripture, the days of fulfillment. This is therefore an era of unprecedented spiritual activity on both sides as the conflict races to a head. Those who are in Christ are on the winning side. Part of what must happen during this period of great harvest for the kingdom of God is a massive wealth transfer. It is not going to happen by theft or governmental policy. It is going to happen supernaturally. Those invested in God’s market are going to reap a windfall. Make up your mind now to buy in.
On the dangers of yoga:
When one hears the word meditation, it conjures an image of Maharishi Yoga talking about finding a mantra and striving for nirvana. . . . The purpose of such meditation is to empty oneself. . . . [Satan] is happy to invade the empty vacuum of your soul and possess it. That is why people serve Satan without ever knowing it or deciding to, but no one can be a child of God without making a decision to surrender to him. Beware of systems of spirituality which tell you to empty yourself. You will end up filled with something you probably do not want.
- I believe there is a direct connection between being gay and being a pedophile.
- In his Senate run on the issue page, he said he would lead the fight to “stop our government from using the law to promote the normalization of homosexuality in society.”
- Gays attempt to “sexualize people” at “the earliest possible age.”
- Gays are “frankly very sick people…”
- “The Democrat Party has equated homosexuality with being black…”
- On last year’s boycott of Chick-fil-A, he said gays “want to destroy the very faith which established this nation…”
- The repeal of DADT was “a disaster of historic proportions and it must be reinstated.”
- “I know people who have been delivered from homosexuality…”
- Gay marriage is a “sledgehammer used to shatter our Judeo-Christian culture.”
- Homosexuality is “killing black men by the thousands” because of HIV. Pro-gay rights liberals have “have done more to kill black folks whom they claim so much to love than the Ku Klux Klan, lynching and slavery and Jim Crow ever did…”
From Salon: http://www.salon.com/2013/05/20/deep_thoughts_with_virginias_new_lg_candidate/
1. On gay people: “Their minds are perverted, they’re frankly very sick people psychologically, mentally and emotionally and they see everything through the lens of homosexuality. When they talk about love they’re not talking about love, they’re talking about homosexual sex.”
2. On gay people (again): “Homosexuality is a horrible sin, it poisons culture, it destroys families, it destroys societies; it brings the judgment of God unlike very few things that we can think of… It’s an authoritarian, totalitarian spirit.”
3. Political predictions: Jackson said a few weeks before the 2012 election that black voters would “overwhelmingly” vote against Barack Obama because he had endorsed marriage equality. Over 90 percent of African Americans voted for the president.
4. On Democrats: “I liken them to slave masters who brag about how good their slaves are and how well-behaved they are but let them try to be free, let them try to escape and then you find out that they don’t really think very much of them.”
5. On Planned Parenthood and the KKK: “Planned Parenthood has been far more lethal to black lives than the KKK ever was. And the Democrat Party and the black civil rights allies are partners in this genocide.”
6. On liberals and the KKK: “Liberalism and their ideas have done more to kill black folks whom they claim so much to love than the Ku Klux Klan, lynching and slavery and Jim Crow ever did, now that’s a fact.”
7. On the Democratic Party’s agenda: “An agenda worthy of the Antichrist.”
8. On Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell: “The new Marine motto: ‘The Few, the Proud, the Sexually Twisted.’ Good luck selling that to strong young males who would otherwise love to defend their country. What virile young man wants to serve in a military like that?
9. On boycotting CPAC for being too gay: “The self-proclaimed gay Republicans support hate crime laws (which will be used to bludgeon the church) and oppose the Federal Defense of Marriage Amendment, without which judges will ultimately legislate homosexual ‘marriage’—making the natural family an endangered species… What would Ronald Reagan think of CPAC today?”
10. On Obama’s Muslim sensibilities: “Obama clearly has Muslim sensibilities. He sees the world and Israel from a Muslim perspective. His construct of ‘The Muslim World’ is unique in modern diplomacy. It is said that only The Muslim Brotherhood and other radical elements of the religion use that concept. It is a call to unify Muslims around the world.”
A SIDE NOTE: Glenn Beck has called him, “one of the biggest truth‑tellers I’ve ever seen, one of the bravest guys I’ve ever seen.”
As a testament to the prevalence of dominionism, what was once considered a “fringe element” is rapidly becoming more and more mainstream, as the Republican Party is rapidly becoming the ReBiblican Party. While I might not buy into the whole “dumbing down” of America, the shameful truth is that with the nomination of such an unworthy and absolutely repugnant individual by the Commonwealth’s GOP delegates is a giant red-flag to America that the Party values of yesteryear have been usurped by nefarious and deplorable extremists and begs the question, “Who dumbed-down the GOP?”