Of course, the “buzz” phrase in all of that is “confront the culture,” because climbing the cultural mountains is what all dominionist seek to do with their Seven Mountains Mandate.
They list as their three primary issues, The Family, Biblical Morality, and Religious Liberties. All of these reek of Dominionist “code speak.” “The Family,” as they see it consists only of a husband, wife, and their offspring. “Biblical Morality,” means nothing less than strict adherence to Old Testament scripture which they claim condems homosexuality and advocates a patriarchal union between men and women where the woman is subservient to the man. As far as “Religious Liberties,” they mean liberties for Christians and exclusion of all others. This sort of religious supremacy is rampant among dominionist cults. While they are the first to scream about “Sharia Law,” they fail to acknowledge that their Biblical bent is comparable.
The FPN listsits objectives as:
– Educating Christians on important moral issues in public and corporate policy(What they really mean is poisoning the well with Biblical laws on such issues as abortion, birth contol, same-sex marriage, and homosexuality.)
-Confronting the culture by lifting a standard of righteousness in the public square.(Again we see the Seven Mountains Mandate creeping into their dialogue. Dominion over the “public square” complete with a theocratic ideology is what they seek.)
– Raising awareness of the harmful effects of immorality on families and communities. (Conquering the family mountain is of the utmost importance. Interestingly, here they would be the morality police making policies dictating what is moral and what is not.)
– Dissuading companies from condoning and/or sponsoring immoral behavior
(Simply put, this group, along with dozens of others, believe that companies and corporations should discriminate against homosexuals, and that homosexuality is a basis for dismissal from employment. Additionally, they have been behind the push toward mandatory birth control coverage.)
– Promoting forgiveness and healing as an “alternative lifestyle” for people involved in the sin of homosexuality (Along with many other dominionist groups, the FPN believes in Reparative Therapy for homosexuals and that gays are a sinful and heinous group who must be reformed before they can be forgiven.)
– Supporting laws protecting families, religious liberties, decency and health (Again, we witness the deliberately innocuous code speak endmic to the Dominionist mindset. The idea sof religious freedom, protecting families, decency and good health are important to everyone. The use of such buzz words and phrases has worked well in their recruitment activities.)
– Encouraging corporate and public support for honoring America’s Christian heritage (Dominioists are hell-bent on convincing the world that we are a Christian Nation and that we were founded as such. “Heritage” is yet another of those buzz words in their arsenal aplenty.)
– Defending Biblical Christianity as the only answer to life’s ultimate questions (The FPN isn’t even trying to camouflage their dominionist leanings with this one. The use of the word “only” demonstrates their intolerance of all other religions and teachings.
– Equipping and networking Christians together for the purpose of preserving society and advancing the Kingdom of God (Kingdom Theology, proseyltizing, and recruiting are all instruments in the Dominionist tool chest. The preservation of society is simply another way of saying “taking dominion.”
– Maintaining Christian humility and integrity in all aspects of the organization’s endeavors. (This begs the question – what is “Christian” humility and integrity? It certainly is an implication that those other than Christians lack these attributes, or, at the very least, that “Christian” humility and integrity is superior to all others.)
The Family Policy Network claims that “Confrontation” is one of their “Strategic Priorities.” They describe this as:
Working to hold corporations and public officials accountable for actions, policies and statements that undermine traditional values in society, FPN utilizes news releases, Email alerts, media interviews and other venues to confront policies and proposals that would undermine religious liberties, traditional morality, and the value of human life. (Empahsis added)
Dominionists love the word “traditional,” considering it appealing to the masses and underestimating the populace. In a world that is striving for advancement and a forward direction, the Dominionist realizes that their brand of archaic and backward thinking is not as palatable to mainstream America as it used to be, they tend to reach out to those who are disenfranchised or lost with a promise of “Taking America Back.” They capitalize on nostalgia and the remembering of the “good old days” with words like “traditional” and “heritage.”
Knowing that one of the most precious things to most people is “human life” and that we must protect it, they use the term “value human life.” Of course we all do. However, this term, as used by them is directed toward the issue of abortion and a woman’s right to choose.
In response to the recent decision by the Boy Scouts of America to allow gay youth into their rank and file, FPN President Joe Glover issued the following statement:
“The Boy Scouts of America should drop the phrase ‘to God’ and ‘morally straight’ from their oath, since they’ve decided to reject His standards of morality. The Bible clearly states homosexuality is a sin against God, and yet the Boy Scouts of America has decided to allow it.
“Parents should only place their children in the care of people who readily accept God’s definition of what it means to be ‘morally straight.’ Unfortunately, the leaders of the Boy Scouts of America have chosen a form of moral character that arrogantly rejects God’s written Word.”
For a look into the mindset of the FPN, one has only to look at their “Policy Papers” found here.
It is important to note that this organization, along with many, others exert an enormous amount of pressure upon our elected officials and policy makers to accept their ideas, ideologies, and policies and enact them into law. They wield a lot of influence in the halls of government and have made some major inroads into getting their people into offices of power. Also note that many of these organizations raise enormous sums of money and have many well-heeled foundations and individuals supporting their efforts.